People who are elderly may experience conditions concerning the feet, such as burning sensations, dry skin, and discoloration. It may be helpful to apply a moisturizer after washing the feet in warm water. Years of use may be the culprit of increasing foot issues in the elderly, and many of these conditions may be easily treated. Shoe sizes may vary as we age, so it may be beneficial to measure the feet frequently. Wearing shoes that fit correctly will not only benefit the body’s overall health, but will help the feet to feel comfortable. Additionally, if poor eyesight or difficulty in bending down keeps the toenails from being trimmed correctly, a consultation with a podiatrist is recommended for assistance in proper foot care.
Proper foot care is something many older adults forget to consider. If you have any concerns about your feet and ankles, contact Dr. Yeon A. Shim from Roselle Podiatry Group. Our doctor can provide the care you need to keep you pain-free and on your feet.
The Elderly and Their Feet
As we age we start to notice many changes in our body, but the elder population may not notice them right away. Medical conditions may prevent the elderly to take notice of their foot health right away. Poor vision is a lead contributor to not taking action for the elderly.
- Neuropathy – can reduce feeling in the feet and can hide many life-threatening medical conditions.
- Reduced flexibility – prevents the ability of proper toenail trimming, and foot cleaning. If left untreated, it may lead to further medical issues.
- Foot sores – amongst the older population can be serious before they are discovered. Some of the problematic conditions they may face are:
- Gouging toenails affecting nearby toe
- Shoes that don’t fit properly
- Pressure sores
- Loss of circulation in legs & feet
- Edema & swelling of feet and ankles
Diabetes and poor circulation can cause general loss of sensitivity over the years, turning a simple cut into a serious issue.
If you have any questions please feel free to contact our office located in Roselle, NJ. We offer the newest diagnostic and treatment technologies for all your foot and ankle needs.Read more about Elderly and their Feet